Tarragon Chicken with Baby Spinach
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: 20 minutes Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Number of servings :
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
300 g chicken breasts
2⁄3 cup reduced-salt chicken or
1 small bunch fresh tarragon
1 small lemon
3 black peppercorns
2 tablespoons tahini
pepper to taste
1 head endive, about 150 g
150 g baby spinach
1⁄2 cup flaked almonds, toasted
- Place the chicken in a shallow pan and pour over the stock. Remove the tarragon leaves from the stalks and set them aside. Lightly crush the stalks with a rolling pin to release their oils, then add to the pan. Remove a small strip of rind from the lemon and add this to the pan with the peppercorns.
Set the pan over medium heat and bring the stock to a boil. Turn down the heat, cover and simmer gently. Cook for 15 minutes or until the chicken is white all the way through.
- Remove the chicken breasts using a slotted spoon and leave to cool on a plate. Strain the stock into a cup and discard the tarragon stalks, lemon rind and peppercorns. Set the stock aside. When the chicken has cooled, cut it into thick strips.
- Place the tahini in a bowl and whisk in 5 tablespoons of the reserved stock to make a smooth, creamy dressing. If the dressing is a bit thick, add an extra tablespoon of stock. Squeeze the juice from the lemon and stir it into the dressing.
- Chop enough of the tarragon leaves to make 1 tablespoon, and add to the dressing with pepper to taste. Cut the endive across on the diagonal into slices 1 cm thick. Arrange the endive and spinach in a large salad bowl.
- Peel the oranges, then cut between the membrane into segments. Scatter the segments over the salad, followed by the toasted almonds. Place the chicken strips on top, and spoon over the tahini tarragon dressing. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving: 707 calories,35 g protein, 31 g total fat, 6 g saturated fat, 126 mg cholesterol, 73 g total carbohydrate, 21 g sugars, 5 g fibre, 528 mg sodium
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:1508