Sweet Potato Lasagna
Never thought lasagna could be healthy? Well you’re in for a real treat! Check out this recipe for sweet potato lasagna.
Number of servings : 8 to 10
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet : | Low fat | Low calorie
3 lbs (1.5 kg) sweet potatoes
2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
8 lasagna noodles
3 tbsp (50 mL) vegetable oil or butter
¼ cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
4 cups (1 L) 1% milk, hot
1 tsp (5 mL) salt or to taste
¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
generous pinch nutmeg
2 cups (500 mL) grated mild cheese (e.g. Lappi or mozzarella)
¼ cup (50 mL) grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Peel sweet potatoes, cut into ¼-in. (5-mm) slices, toss with olive oil and salt and place in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast in a preheated 400°F (200°C) oven until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) salt. Cook noodles 3 to 5 minutes, until just tender. Rinse in cold water and arrange in a single layer on wet tea towels.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, whisking in flour. Cook gently, without browning, about 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in hot milk and bring to a boil, stirring until mixture thickens. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne to taste.
- To assemble, spoon about ½ cup (125 mL) sauce over the bottom of an oiled 9- x 9-in. (2L) baking dish. Line with a layer of noodles, then a layer of roasted sweet potatoes. Spread with 1½ cups (375 mL) sauce and half the grated mild cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbling and browned on top. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Bonnie says: This unusual vegetarian lasagna is sweet and delicious. This recipe tastes delicious with other cheese, as well, such as smoked cheddar, Swiss or Cambozola (mild blue cheese) and other roasted vegetables could be added to the sweet potatoes.
Fran says: Cheese is rich in calcium, protein, riboflavin, potassium and zinc. Lower fat cheeses such as Lappi or mozzarella provide all the nutrition with less fat and less calories.