Sun-Dried Tomato and Spinach Farfalle With Walnuts
The tomatoes and spinach not only add a blast of colour to this delicious pasta dish, but also lots of vitamins and minerals. The chopped walnuts also add some texture.
Number of servings : 4
Cooking time: Easy
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
3/4 cup (175 mL) walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup (50 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup (50 mL) oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and sliced
1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried crushed red pepper
2 cups (500 mL) baby spinach
1 pound (500 g) farfalle pasta
1 cup (250 mL) ricotta cheese
3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable stock or water
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1. In small skillet, warm walnuts over medium heat until they release oils, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and place in small bowl. Set aside.
2. In large skillet over medium heat, warm oil and then add garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and crushed red pepper. Sauté until garlic is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add handful of spinach in batches and cook until each batch is wilted.
3. Boil pot of salted water; add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
4. In large serving bowl, whisk ricotta cheese with stock or water. Add spinach mixture, pasta and walnuts; toss to combine.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Grate fresh Parmesan cheese over top and serve.
Ceri Marsh and Laura Keogh are the creators of sweetpotatochronicles.com, a website dedicated to all things family food. They are also the authors of the cookbook How to Feed a Family.