Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Side Dishes | Side Dishes
Special diet :
4 slices mild pancetta
30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
2 green onions, sliced thinly
2 cloves, garlic, crushed
30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh mint leaves, snipped into small pieces
45 ml (3 tbsp) flat parsley, minced
75 ml (1/3 cup) plain bread crumbs
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
60 ml (1/4 cup) Parmesan cheese, grated
4 large artichokes
1 lemon, halved
Cold water, as required
- In a skillet, cook the pancetta in the oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels, crumble and set aside.
- In the same skillet, wilt the onion and garlic in the pancetta fat. Remove from heat, add the mint, parsley, bread crumbs, crumbled pancetta, cheese, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F.
- Cut off the stems near the bottom of the artichokes, slicing straight across. Rub the cut end with a half a lemon. Remove the tough green outer leaves around the artichoke, rubbing each spot with lemon as you go. When you get to the tender leaves, cut off the top of the artichoke and gently separate the leaves.
- Using a spoon, carefully scrape out the hairy choke and discard. Plunge the artichokes into a large bowl of water into which you have squeezed the juice from the other lemon half.
- Drain the artichokes, head down, on paper towels.
- Gently pull the leaves open and stuff the artichokes with the mixture. Place the artichokes in a baking dish so that they fit together tightly. Pour 250 ml (1 cup) of water into the bottom of the dish and cover with parchment paper.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender when tested with the tip of a knife.
- Serve hot or warm.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2695