Cauliflower au Gratin
“Count on this dish to make new vegetable converts. Whenever I serve it, people ask for the recipe. Sometimes I’ll substitute broccoli for all or half the cauliflower, and the green veggie tastes just as good!” —Jacki Ricci, Ely, Nevada
Taste of Home
- 6 tbsp butter cubed
- 4 oz cooked ham chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 head cauliflower broken into florets
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 to 3 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Preheat broiler. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add ham and garlic; saute for 2 minutes. Add cauliflower, and cook just until crisp-tender. Combine cream and flour; stir into skillet, and blend well. Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Pour into a 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil until lightly browned, 2-4 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Make this vegetarian by omitting the ham. To create some smoky/salty flavour, add 1/4 tsp of salt and sprinkle with a little paprika.
- For an added boost of nutrition and colour, add 1/2 lb of chopped asparagus or frozen peas along with the cauliflower.
3/4 cup: 351 calories, 32g fat (20g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 362mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fibre), 11g protein.