Strata With Camembert and Italian Sausage
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
450 g (1 lb) spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
500 ml (2 cups) milk
1 loaf, 450 g (1 lb) crusty white bread, in 2 cm / 3/4 inch slices, buttered
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 round, 200 g (7 oz ) country-style Camembert, rind removed, sliced thinly
125 ml (1/2 cup, 60 g) parmesan cheese, grated
- In a frying pan, cook the sausage meat in butter, breaking up the pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Generously butter a 20 cm / 8 inch soufflé dish.
- In a bowl, beat the milk and eggs together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange a layer of bread slices in the bottom of the dish, buttered side up, and cover with half the meat and half the Camembert. Repeat, finishing with a layer of bread, buttered side up.
- Pour the egg mixture slowly over the top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F.
- Bake on the middle rack for 50 minutes or until the top is well browned and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.
Suggestion: This strata makes the perfect brunch dish. Prepare it the day before, refrigerate overnight and pop it in the oven in the morning.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2168