Squash and Eggplant Casserole
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet : | Vegetarian
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
12 baby corn
1 small or ½ large butternut squash, peeled, quartered lengthwise, seeded, and cut across into 1-inch slices
1 eggplant, halved lengthwise and cut across into 1-inch slices
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ½-inch pieces
½ cup dry white wine
2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
Finely shredded or coarsely grated zest of 1 lemon
5 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 cup instant polenta
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole. Add the onion wedges and baby corn and sauté over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the slices of butternut squash to the casserole, toss them in the oil, and then stir in the eggplant and red pepper. Cover and leave the vegetables to cook over a low to medium heat, turning them twice, until they are lightly tinged golden brown, about 10 minutes. Pour in the wine, let it sizzle, and then stir in the broth. Bring to a boil and add seasoning to taste. Cover the casserole and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping. Preheat the grill to high. Spread the slivered almonds on a baking tray and toast under the grill until they are lightly browned. Watch them closely and shake the tray occasionally to ensure the nuts are evenly toasted. Place in a small bowl and mix in the remaining topping ingredients.
- To prepare the polenta, bring 3 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan over a high heat. Gradually whisk in the polenta and continue whisking until the polenta absorbs all the liquid. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring, until the polenta is thick, 5–10 minutes. Beat in the Parmesan cheese and oregano with seasoning to taste.
- To serve, spoon the polenta onto plates or into large individual bowls. Ladle the vegetable casserole on top and sprinkle with the topping.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:3337