Spicy Cajun Potato Salad
“Here in Louisiana we have a lot of get-togethers, and if you want your dish to be chosen over all of the rest, it has to have a kick! This does the trick.” —Amanda West, Sibley, Louisiana
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 5 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1/2 medium lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 hard-boiled large eggs chopped
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise with olive oil and coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup dill pickle relish
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Cut onion in half crosswise; add one half to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add lemon and salt to cooking water. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until potatoes tender, 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop remaining onion. Combine with eggs, mayonnaise, dill pickle relish, mustard and Cajun seasoning.
- Drain potatoes; rinse under cold water. Discard onion and lemon. Add potatoes to egg mixture; gently toss until well mixed (do not overmix, or potatoes will break down). Refrigerate, covered, 1-2 hours. Just before serving, sprinkle with parsley and paprika.
Test Kitchen tip
Adding lemon juice or vinegar to the water when boiling potatoes will help keep them on the firm side. This is a great tactic for potato salads, but not so much for mashed potatoes.
3/4 cup: 229 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fibre), 5g protein.