Spiced Pumpkin and Bacon Soup
Add even more spice and delicious salty flavour to the pumpkin soup you already love by throwing some bacon into the mix.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onions. Stir to coat them with oil, then cover and cook them over a low heat for 5-10 minutes until they start to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pumpkin, bacon, and cumin to the pan. Stir, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, raise the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Purée the soup with a hand-held mixer or in a food processor.
- Season to taste, garnish with coriander and black pepper, and serve, accompanied by a crusty bread roll, if you like.
If fresh pumpkin is unavailable, use 15 oz (425 g) canned, unsweetened pumpkin, usually found on supermarkets’ canned fruit shelves.