South American Style Barbecued Ribs
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
3 medium-size yellow onions, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
15 mL (1 tbsp) sugar
300 mL (1¼ cups) water
1.4 kg (3 lbs) pork spareribs or beef short ribs, cut into 2-rib widths
550 mL (2¼ cups) canned crushed tomatoes
45 mL (3 tbsp) red wine vinegar
30 mL (2 tbsp) molasses
1 large banana, peeled and sliced 1 cm (½ in) thick
50 mL (¼ cup) raisins
10 mL (2 tsp) ground ginger
3 mL (3/4 tsp) dried oregano, crumbled
1 mL (¼ tsp) hot red pepper sauce
250 g (8 oz) green beans, trimmed and cut into 2.5 cm (1 in) lengths
250 mL (1 cup) long-grain white or brown rice
Flat-leaf parsley sprigs (optional garnish)
- Place the onions and garlic and sprinkle with the sugar in a large pot. Add 250 mL (1 cup) of the water and simmer, uncovered, over moderate heat until the water has evaporated and the onions are very soft—about 10 minutes.
- Add the ribs, remaining water and tomatoes, vinegar, molasses, banana, raisins, ginger, oregano and red pepper sauce. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil, cover and transfer into aluminum foil or a shallow covered pan.
- Place on low heat on the grill and let cook until the ribs are tender and the meat falls away from the bone–about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans, cover and bake until the beans are tender–15 to 20 minutes more.
- Serve with the rice and garnish with the parsley sprigs if desired.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2637