Number of servings : 12
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
2 heads garlic
1 large onion, sliced
1 can root beer
1/4 cup each Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce and red wine vinegar
1/4 cup each packed brown sugar and liquid honey
1 tbsp dry mustard
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
4 lb Beef Brisket Pot Roast (thick Double/Point End/Deckle section) not Flat End/First Cut)
1. Slice off top of garlic heads; wrap in foil and bake in 350F (180C) oven until softened, about 50 minutes. Squeeze garlic cloves into large sealable freezer bag; stir in onion, root beer, Lea & Perrins Sauce, vinegar, sugar, honey, mustard, pepper and salt.
2. Pierce roast all over with fork; add to freezer bag; seal, squeezing out as much air as possible. Refrigerate for 24 hours, turning occasionally.
3. Transfer marinade into saucepan; add 1 cup water and boil for 3 minutes. Set aside. For 3-burner barbecue, place drip pan under grill in centre of barbecue; add 1/2 inch (1 cm) water to pan. Light remaining 2 burners and heat barbecue to low (225F/110C). Seal soaked hardwood chips in foil packet and poke with holes to let smoke escape; place under grill over a lit burner.
4. Place roast, fat-side up, on grill over drip pan. Maintaining constant temperature, close lid and cook, turning every 2 hours and basting with marinade, for 5 hours.
5. Remove roast to cutting board; let stand. Meanwhile, boil remaining marinade until thickened and onions are softened, about 20 minutes. Serve with thin slices of warm brisket.