Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet : | Heart Health
500 g small new potatoes, washed and any larger ones halved
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
250 g large mushrooms, quartered
250 g sugar snap peas
1 large red pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
3⁄4 cup reduced-salt beef or vegetable stock
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1⁄2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
4 thin sirloin steaks, about 150 g each, trimmed of visible fat
pepper to taste
1 1⁄2 tablespoons reduced-salt margarine
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
5 tablespoons port
- Place the potatoes in a pan and cover with boiling water. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10–12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the mushrooms, peas and pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute. Mix 1⁄2 cup stock with the Worcestershire sauce, mustard and sugar, and stir into the vegetables. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 3 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender, stirring frequently.
- Season the steaks on both sides with pepper and set aside. Heat a ridged cast-iron grill pan. Meanwhile, drain the cooked potatoes and add to the vegetables. Stir gently, then cover and leave over very low heat until ready to serve.
- Place the margarine in the hot pan and turn up the heat to high. When the margarine starts to foam, add the steaks. For steaks 1 cm thick, allow 1 minute on each side for rare, 1 1⁄2–2 minutes on each side for medium, and 2 1⁄2–3 minuteson each side for well done. Lift the steaks onto warmed dinner plates. Keep the steaks warm while making the sauce.
- Add the shallot and garlic to the juices in the pan and cook, stirring, over low heat for 1 minute. Add the port and increase the heat so the sauce is bubbling. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring. Pour in the remaining stock and let it bubble for 1 minute. Spoon the sauce over the steaks and serve immediately, with the vegetables.