Simple Sparerib and Sauerkraut Supper
“This recipe simplifies our busy lives and lets us celebrate family time with a hearty meal that is on the table fast.” — Donna Harp, Cincinnati, Ohio
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple peeled and chopped
- 3 slices thick-sliced bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- 1 jar sauerkraut 16 oz, undrained
- 2 lb pork spareribs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 lb smoked Polish sausage cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 cup beer
- Place the potatoes, onion, apple and bacon in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Drain sauerkraut, reserving 1/3 cup liquid; add sauerkraut and reserved liquid to slow cooker.
- Cut spareribs into serving-size portions; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown ribs in batches. Transfer to slow cooker; sprinkle with brown sugar and caraway seeds.
- Add sausage; pour in beer. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until ribs are tender.
1 serving: 590 calories, 37g fat (13g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 1285mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fibre), 30g protein.