Simmered Turkey Enchiladas
“I discovered a different way to serve economical turkey thighs. I simmer them in tomato sauce, green chiles and seasonings until they’re tender and flavourful, then serve them in tortillas with our favourite fresh toppings.” —Stella Schams, Tempe, Arizona
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 lb turkey thighs or drumsticks
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz
- 1 can chopped green chiles 4 oz
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 8 flour tortillas 6 inches, warmed
- Optional toppings
- Chopped green onions
- Sliced ripe olives
- chopped tomatoes
- shredded Cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- Remove skin from turkey; place turkey in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, chiles, onion, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and garlic powder; pour over turkey. Cover and cook on low until turkey is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove turkey; shred meat with a fork and return to the slow cooker. Heat through.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of turkey mixture down the center of each tortilla. Fold bottom of tortilla over filling and roll up. Add toppings of your choice.
Freeze option: Individually wrap cooled burritos in paper towels and foil; freeze in a freezer container. To use, remove foil; place paper towel-wrapped burrito on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high until heated through, 3-4 minutes, turning once. Let stand 20 seconds.
2 enchiladas: 497 calories, 20g fat (4g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 1028mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fibre), 45g protein.