Sicilian-Style Baked Pennette with Cheese
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
90 ml (6 tbsp) olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
210 g (7 oz) eggplant, diced
2 small zucchini, diced
796 ml (28 oz) canned, crushed Italian tomatoes
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
350 g (3/4 lb.) pennette pasta
Fresh basil leaves, snipped to taste
250 g (8 oz) Mozzarina cheese, diced
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil over low heat until soft, then add the garlic. Add the eggplant and cook for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and stir. Continue cooking over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- In a large pot, cook the pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente. Drain and toss with the sauce and the basil.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle the Mozzarina evenly over the top.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve hot.
Tip: To keep the pasta from drying out, sprinkle breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan over the cheese before baking.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2151