Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
8 ml (1/2 package) active dry yeast
250 ml (1 cup) warm water
5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
560 ml (2 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
125 ml (1/2 cup) canned Italian plum tomatoes, crushed
90 ml (6 tbsp) olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
20 clams, cleaned, in the shell
40 mussels, cleaned, in the shell
75 ml (1/3 cup) white wine
3 squid, cut in rings
4 scallops, cleaned, cut in two
4 prawns or shrimp, shelled and deveined
225 g (8 oz) Mozzarella cheese, sliced
5 ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
2 fresh oregano leaves
Freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix half the warm water with sugar and sprinkle yeast over the top. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes to activate.
- In a large bowl, blend 250 ml (1 cup) of the flour with the salt. Make a well in the middle.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the well. Bit by bit, add another 250 ml (1 cup) of flour, the olive oil and remaining water, mixing well with your hands as you go until the dough has formed a ball.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise for 45 minutes.
- Remove the dough to a floured surface (use remaining flour), punch it down and knead it for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in two. Roll out each piece into a 20 cm (8 in.) circle.
- Preheat oven to 225°C / 450°F.
- Stretch out pizza dough on an oiled baking pan. Spread with crushed tomatoes. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While dough is baking, place a large pan over low heat and add half the oil and 2 of the chopped garlic cloves. Add clams and mussels. Pour white wine over top. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove mussels and clams from the shells (keeping a few in their shells fro decoration) and set aside with the cooking liquid in a covered bowl.
- Heat remaining oil and last chopped garlic clove in the same pan. Sauté squid rings, scallop pieces and shrimp until just cooked. Deglaze with the shellfish cooking liquid and dried oregano.
When pizza dough is baked, remove from oven and place Mozzarellissima cheese slices on top. Garnish with the seafood and chopped fresh oregano. Sprinkle with pepper. Return pizza to oven for another 3 or 4 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Tips: Avoid overcooking the seafood or it will be rubbery. To add a little zing, drizzle a generous amount of spiced oil with herbs over the top just before serving.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2190