Penne with Grilled Eggplant
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time||Passive Time|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
- 500 g eggplant cut lengthways into 2 cm-thick slices
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 750 g ripe roma tomatoes halved, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp oregano chopped fresh or ½ teaspoon dried, crumbled
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- non-stick olive-oil cooking spray
- 250 g penne
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shaved or shredded
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with half the salt. Leave for a least 30 minutes to draw out liquid.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add tomato, oregano and remaining salt. Increase heat to medium. Cook just until tomato is softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in vinegar and sugar. Cook a further 30 seconds.
- Preheat grill or barbecue. Rinse eggplant slices; pat dry. Lightly coat both sides of eggplant with cooking spray.
- Grill or barbecue eggplant 10 cm from heat until softened and, if barbecuing, dark grill marks score the surface, about 5 minutes each side. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water until al dente, following packet instructions. Drain. Toss with the tomato mixture. Coarsely chop eggplant. Add to pasta mixture. Stir in parmesan. Serve hot.
per serving 1370 kilojoules, 11 g protein, 12 g fat (including 2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 43 g carbohydrates, 8 g fibre, 704 mg sodium