Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
1 large rabbit, in 8 pieces
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
90 ml (6 tbsp) extra-virgin olive oil
180 g (6 oz) pancetta, chopped finely
4 shallots, chopped
2 fennel bulbs
3 garlic cloves, halved
250 ml (1 cup) dry white wine
18 black olives, pitted
Fennel leaves, chopped, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Wash the rabbit pieces and pat dry with paper towel. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To prepare the fennel, remove the tough core, separate the stalks and cut them in 1-cm (½-in.) slices. Chop leaves and set aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat 45 ml (3 tbsp.) of olive oil and fry the rabbit pieces on both sides until well browned. Remove the rabbit pieces from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining olive oil and fry the pancetta, shallots, the fennel slices and the garlic over lower heat for one minute.
- Add the wine and stir, using a wooden spoon to scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Return the rabbit pieces to the pan and add the black olives. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish and bake 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Adjust the seasoning and transfer to a hot serving platter. Garnish with the chopped fennel leaves.
Variation: Chicken may be used instead of rabbit.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2333