Rabbit cacciatore is a hearty stew made with white wine, tomatoes and various other spices. Whether served alone or with appetizers, this will leave you filling satisfied.
Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 70 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 rabbit, cut in 8 pieces
6 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
2 small onions, chopped
1 can, 596 ml (19 oz) whole Italian tomatoes, chopped, with their liquid
325 ml (1⅓ cups) white wine
30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh thyme leaves
15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh rosemary, chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh oregano, chopped
- In a stew pot, heat the oil over high heat. Season the rabbit pieces with salt and pepper and brown on all sides.
- Add the garlic and onion and sauté two minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the wine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, add the thyme and rosemary, and simmer, covered, for, 45 minutes or until the rabbit is done.
- Keep the rabbit warm on a platter. Reduce the cooking liquid to sauce consistency.
- Add the oregano, return the rabbit pieces to the pot and simmer five minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve immediately.