Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
2 tbsp (25 mL) brown sugar
1 tbsp (15 mL) kosher salt
1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
1 tsp (5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp (25 mL) Dijon mustard
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 lbs (2 kg) boneless pork shoulder (pork butt roast)
2 cups (500 mL) water
1 cup (250 mL) apple juice
½ cup (125 mL) maple syrup
1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
6 cloves garlic, whole
2 onions, thickly sliced
Maple Barbecue Sauce:
2 cups (500 mL) favourite barbecue sauce
¾ cup (175 mL) maple syrup
2 tbsp (25 mL) Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
2 tbsp (25 mL) rice vinegar
2 tbsp (25 mL) soy sauce
- Combine brown sugar, salt, paprika, pepper, mustard and garlic. Rub into pork roast. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Combine water, apple juice, maple syrup and Worcestershire sauce. Place garlic and onions in the bottom of a Dutch oven and set roast on top. Add liquid. Cover roast surface with parchment paper, then cover container tightly. Cook in a preheated 325°F (160°C) oven for 4 to 5 hours or longer, until pork is so tender that it falls apart when pierced with a fork. Turn roast a few times during cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, whisk barbecue sauce with maple syrup, Worcester-shire sauce, mustard, vinegar and soy sauce. Bring to a boil.
- When roast is ready, remove from Dutch oven. Slice and reheat in the sauce.
- For pulled pork: Cool roast for about an hour, then shred meat into pieces. Com-bine with sauce. Place in a baking dish, cover, then heat thoroughly in a pre-heated 350°F (180°C) oven for approximately 30 minutes.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:3573