Number of servings : 2 pizzas of 20 cm (8 in.) each
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
8 ml (1/2 package) active dry yeast
250 ml (1 cup) warm water
5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
560 ml (2 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
2 ml (1/2 tsp.) salt
15 ml (1 tbsp.) olive oil
250 ml (1 cup) Italian plum tomatoes, canned
150 g (5 oz) Mozzarella di Bufala cheese, thinly sliced
100 g (3 oz) Mozzarella cheese, in small pieces
5 ml (1 tsp) salt
15 ml (1 tbsp) Parmesan cheese, grated
45 ml (3 tbsp.) olive oil
pepper to taste
fresh basil leaves, snipped to taste
- In a small bowl, mix half the warm water with sugar and sprinkle yeast over the top. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes to activate.
- In a large bowl, blend 250 ml (1 cup) of the flour with the salt. Make a well in the middle.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the well. Bit by bit, add another 250 ml (1 cup) of flour, the olive oil and remaining water, mixing well with your hands as you go until the dough has formed a ball.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise for 45 minutes.
- Remove the dough to a floured surface (use remaining flour), punch it down and knead it for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in two. Roll out each piece into a 20 cm (8 in.) circle.
- Preheat oven to 250°C / 500°F for 15 minutes.
- Spread pizza dough on an oiled baking sheet.
- Crush tomatoes with your hands and spread them over the top of the dough with a spoon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the Mozzarina and Mozzarellissima cheeses, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and basil.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp. of olive oil over the top.
- Reduce oven temperature to 230°C / 450°F and bake pizza for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.