Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
3 lbs (1½ kg ) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks (approx. 8 cups/2 L)
1 tbsp (15 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 ears corn (or 1½ cups (375 mL) fresh or frozen corn kernels)
4 oz (125 g) bacon, cut into 1-in (2½-cm) pieces
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh sage
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
¾ lb (375 g) whole wheat or regular penne pasta
6 oz (175 g) ricotta cheese
1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- Toss squash with olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast in a preheated 400°F (200°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until browned and tender.
- Grill corn, turning often directly on the barbecue or grill pan until spotted with brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Cool. Remove corn from cobs. (Otherwise cook corn kernels in a large heavy skillet until lightly browned.)
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven or large deep skillet, cook bacon until fat renders out. Discard all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) of fat from pan. Add onions and garlic and cook gently 5 minutes, until tender.
- Add squash, corn and half the sage. Combine well and heat.
- Cook penne in boiling salted water until tender. Reserve 1 cup (250 mL) pasta cooking liquid. Drain pasta. Add to squash in pan. Cook gently, on low heat, adding water gradually to keep mixture moist. Cook until most of liquid is ab-sorbed or saucy. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Dot with ricotta, drizzle with oil and remaining sage leaves.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:4269