Pasta Fagioli Soup
“My husband enjoys my version of this dish so much that he doesn’t order it at restaurants anymore. With fresh spinach, pasta and seasoned sausage, this fast-to-fix soup is a meal on its own.” —Brenda Thomas, Springfield, Missouri
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links casings removed, crumbled
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can great northern beans rinsed and drained, 15-1/2 ounces
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained, 14-1/2 ounces
- 1 can reduced-sodium chicken broth 14-1/2 ounces
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves cut as desired
- 5 teaspoons Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain, remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, beans, tomatoes, broth, macaroni and pepper; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until macaroni is tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in sausage and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted, 2-3 minutes. Garnish with cheese.
1-1/3 cups: 228 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 841mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fibre), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.