Number of servings : 4-6 Servings
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
1 rabbit, about 3½ lb (1.6 kg), cut into 6 serving pieces
3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
½ cup (125 mL) chopped onion
2 tsp (10 mL) minced garlic
½ cup (125 mL) dry Riesling
1 cup (250 mL) sweet peas, blanched
½ cup (125 mL) slab bacon strips, fried until lightly crisped
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp (30 mL) minced parsley
3 tbsp (45 mL) whipped butter (page 251)
½ cup (125 mL) grated Pecorino Romano
- Braise the rabbit as described on page 160 but omit the mustard. Allow to cool slightly, then strain, reserving 2 cups (500 mL) of the braising liquid. Shred the meat from the bone and set aside, tightly covered.
- Cook the pasta, reserving ¼ cup (50 mL) cooking water.
- While the pasta cooks, in a sauté pan cook the onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook a minute longer. Add the shredded rabbit and deglaze with wine. Add the rabbit braising liquid and reduce slightly.
- Add the peas and lardons. Season, then stir in the parsley. Add the pasta and reserved cooking water, and toss well.
- If dry, add more rabbit braising liquid. Remove from the heat, add the butter, and toss well.
- Serve topped with grated pecorino.