Number of servings : 6
Cooking time: 1 hour
Type of meal : | Side Dishes | Side Dishes
Special diet :
- 6 large bell peppers (red, yellow, orange or green)
- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 lb (500 g) pork sausage, casings removed
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped red onion
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced garlic
- 2 cups (500 mL) tomato sauce, marinara sauce or spaghetti sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup (50 mL) sliced fresh basil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook peppers for 5 minutes. Using tongs, remove from pot and drain. In same pot of boiling water, cook orzo according to package directions until tender but firm, about 7 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, in skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and onion, breaking sausage up with spoon, until meat is crumbled and no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
3. Stir orzo, tomato sauce, tomato, basil and pepper flakes into meat mixture until combined; spoon into peppers. Arrange snugly in greased 11- x 7-inch (2 L) baking dish. Cover with foil and bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 15 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 15 minutes longer or until tops are golden and bubbly.