Number of servings : 6
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
4 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
1 bulb fennel, finely chopped
2 cups Carnaroli or Arborio rice
1 lemon, juice and zest, divided
3 Ontario peaches, washed, peeled and cubed
4 tbsp butter, chilled
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
18 scallops, large
Parmesan cheese, as desired
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring chicken stock to a simmer. Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, over medium heat add 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, shallots and fennel; cook until soft and onions are translucent, about 3 minutes (do not brown). Add rice and toast for 1 minute.
- Add two ladles of simmering stock to rice and cook; stirring constantly (be sure to keep a strong simmer). When stock is almost absorbed continue to add more, about 1 to 2 ladles at a time, letting the stock be absorbed again before adding more. Cook until rice is tender and creamy in texture, about 15 to 18 minutes (you may have remaining stock – that’s okay).
- When rice is cooked, remove from heat and add half the lemon zest, peaches, butter and Parmesan; continuing to stir until butter is melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, with a clean paper towel pat the scallops dry and season with remaining lemon zest and salt and pepper to taste. Heat remaining oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat, add the scallops and sear until preferred doneness, about three minutes per side. Deglaze the pan with lemon juice, scraping any brown bits from the pan.
- Divide risotto evenly amongst 6 bowls, top with 3 scallops and spoon sauce from pan over scallops. Garnish with parmesan cheese and freshly chopped basil.