Number of servings : 6 to 8
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
Cooking spray for the cake pans and foil
2 pounds ground beef or turkey
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
½ cup Chicken Broth (page 51) or storebought low-sodium chicken broth
10 flour tortillas
1 16-ounce jar Pace
Picante Sauce or other store-bought or homemade saucy salsa
1 16-ounce package shredded Mexican cheese
1 8-ounce container sour cream
2 4.5-ounce cans chopped green chiles
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat two 8-inch cake pans with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, stirring and breaking it up with a spoon, until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Pour the chicken broth in a large shallow dish and add the tortillas. Soak about 5 minutes; you want them soft but not mushy. Set aside ½ cup salsa and 1 cup cheese.
- Place 1 tortilla on the bottom of each cake pan. In each pan, layer as follows: spread about 2 tablespoons of sour cream on top of the tortilla. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons chiles over the sour cream, followed by about ½ cup of the browned meat, 2 tablespoons salsa, and ¹⁄³ cup shredded cheese. Top with a tortilla. Repeat to make 3 more layers of filling. Finish with a tortilla on top. (You’ll have a stack of 5 tortillas and 4 layers of filling.) Divide the reserved salsa and cheese between the two pans, spreading the salsa to cover the tortilla and sprinkling the cheese to cover the salsa.
- Spray one side of 2 sheets of aluminum foil with cooking spray and place them oiled-side down over the pans. Bake for 30 minutes, until hot and bubbling around the edges. Serve hot.
Excerpted from Eva’s Kitchen by Eva Longoria and Marah Stets Copyright © 2011 by Eva Longoria and Marah Stets. Photographs Copyright © 2011 by Ben Fink. Excerpted by permission of Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House of Canada Limited. All rights reserved.