Maple-Roasted Chicken & Acorn Squash
“When I became a new mother, my mom helped me find comforting and simple recipes to have on hand. This terrific roast chicken is a happy discovery.” —Sara Eilers, Surprise, Arizona
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 4 medium carrots chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs about 2-1/4 pounds
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°. Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Cut each half crosswise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends. Place squash, carrots and onion in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan; top with chicken, skin side down. Roast 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken over; drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 25-30 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175° and vegetables are tender.
1 serving: 363 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 3g fibre), 24g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.