Number of servings : 4
Cooking time: Easy
Type of meal : | Side Dishes | Side Dishes
Special diet :
2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp (25 mL) chili powder
1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
1/2 cup (125 mL) brown lentils
2 bay leaves
2 cups (500 mL) water
1 19 oz can (540 g) navy beans
1 19 oz can (540 g) black beans
1 28 oz can (795 g) whole tomatoes
1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste
Toppings: grated cheddar cheese, chopped cilantro, salsa, sour cream or Greek yogourt
1. In large pot or Dutch oven, warm oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and stir occasionally until they soften—about 3 minutes.
2. Add spices, stir and allow to cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add lentils, bay leaves and water. Bring to a gentle boil and let simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add beans, tomatoes and broth. Bring dish back to a boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Taste for seasoning, and add salt and pepper to your liking.
5. Serve chili over rice or with cornbread. Don’t scrimp on the toppings—it’s not chili without a good sprinkling of cheese and a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogourt.