Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce
Talk about fluffy pancakes! Chef Lynn Crawford shares one of her favourite recipes that can easily be made for brunch or breakfast.
Photo: Courtesy of Egg Farmers of Canada
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Melted butter cooled
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest
- butter for griddle or pan
- Blueberry Sauce
- 3 cups blueberries fresh or frozen, divided in half
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved into 3 tbsp of water
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Separate the egg white from the yolks.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks, ricotta cheese and melted butter.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest. Slowly add to ricotta mixture.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites until they form firm peaks. Fold the egg whites gently into the batter, until just combined.
- Over medium heat, lightly butter a griddle or non-stick pan. Ladle in about 1/4 cup (60 ml) of batter to form small hot cakes and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Place 1 1/2 cups of blueberries in a small saucepan. Add water, sugar and vanilla. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a low boil, sugar is dissolved, and blueberries just start to break apart.
- Add dissolved cornstarch to saucepan and bring mixture to a rolling boil. Turn heat down and simmer on low heat for 2-3 minutes. If the sauce gets too thick, add a little bit of water, one tablespoon at a time.
- Remove from heat. Add remaining blueberries and stir gently. Serve warm or cold.
Nutrients per Serving:
Fat: 42 g
Saturated Fat: 24 g
Trans Fat: 1.5 g
Cholesterol: 401 mg
Sodium: 693 mg
Sugars: 51 g
Fibre: 3 g
Protein: 21 g
Carbohydrate: 75 g