Lemon Curd-Filled Angel Food Cake
“For a sunny angel food cake, we make a filling of mascarpone, cream cheese and lemon curd, and then drizzle the cake with a lemony sweet glaze.” —Leah Rekau, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|16servings||55minutes + chilling||45minutes + cooling|
|16servings||55minutes + chilling|
|45minutes + cooling|
- 12 large egg whites about 1-2/3 cups
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar divided
- 1 tsp vanilla bean or 1vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- 1 jar lemon curd divided, 10 ounces
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries patted dry
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 to 4 tbsp lemon juice
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, mix flour and 3/4 cup sugar until blended.
- Add seeds from vanilla bean (or extract if using), cream of tartar and salt to egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently transfer batter to an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack 45-55 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely in pan, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Using a serrated knife, cut a 1-in. slice off top of cake. Hollow out remaining cake, leaving a 1-in.-thick shell (save removed cake for another use).
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add mascarpone cheese and confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Fold in 1/4 cup of the lemon curd.
- Line bottom of tunnel with strawberries. Spoon mascarpone mixture over berries; top with remaining lemon curd. Replace cake top; refrigerate, covered, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, lemon zest and enough juice to reach desired consistency. Unwrap cake; spread glaze over top, allowing some to drip down sides. Refrigerate until serving.
To remove the seeds from a vanilla bean, cut bean lengthwise in half with a sharp knife; scrape out the dark, pulpy seeds.
1 slice: 315 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 0 fibre), 4g protein.