Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: Ready in under 30 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
1 large onion
8 large, fresh sage leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 slices lamb’s liver, about 3oz (85g) each
2 tablespoons plain ﬂour
Salt and black pepper
11⁄4 cups lamb stock
4 lean, rindless slices smoked back bacon
2⁄3 cup (150ml) sour cream
To garnish: small, fresh sage leaves, optional
- Preheat the oven to low to keep the bacon warm later. Halve, peel, and slice the onion. Rinse, dry, and shred the large sage leaves.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan, add the onion, and fry it over a moderate heat for 4–5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, rinse the liver and pat it dry with kitchen paper. Put the ﬂour onto a plate, season it well with pepper, then coat each slice of liver with the ﬂour.
- Stir the leftover ﬂour and the shredded sage into the onions and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the stock and bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce the heat; leave to simmer.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and fry the bacon for 1–2 minutes on each side, then remove it from the pan and keep it warm in the oven. Add the liver to the pan and fry over a moderate-to-high heat for 2 minutes each side, or until lightly browned.
- Return the bacon to the pan. Add the sauce and stir, scraping up any residue from the bottom. Simmer for 3–4 minutes, or until the liver is cooked but still slightly pink in the center.
- Stir the cream into the pan and season to taste, but be cautious with the salt as the bacon may be salty. Simmer for 1–2 minutes to heat the cream.
- Transfer to a warmed serving dish, garnish with the small sage leaves, if using, and serve.
Serving suggestion: Accompany with plain boiled new potatoes or mashed potatoes and sautéed zucchinis.