Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 45 Minutes (+18 Minutes Rest Time)
Cooking time: Ready in under 60 minutes
Type of meal : | Side Dishes | Side Dishes
Special diet :
4 large Roman or globe artichokes, stems attached
6 cups (1.5 L) olive oil (not extra-virgin)
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 tbsp (25 mL) white wine
- Cut lemon in half; squeeze juice into large bowl of water and add lemon halves to water.
- Trim artichoke stems about ½ inch (1 cm). Discard tough outer artichoke leaves and peel stems. Using scissors or knife, cut away tips of leaves toward centre to make resemble a flower. Using small spoon, remove centre leaves and scoop out choke in centre. Firmly press each artichoke upside down on the counter for it to open, or bloom like a rose. Place artichokes in lemon water; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain; pat dry.
- In heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat to 275°F (140°C). Carefully add artichokes, submerging with metal tongs. Fry, turning often to cook evenly, for about 10 minutes, or until base of stem is tender when pierced with sharp knife. Remove from oil, drain and let cool upside down on paper-towel-lined tray for 15 minutes.
- Using fork, open leaves further. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle inner core with wine; let rest 3 minutes.
- Increase temperature of oil to 300°F (150°C). Carefully return artichokes to pot. Fry, turning constantly, until golden and with crisp outer leaves, about 1 minute. Using tongs or slotted spoon, transfer to paper-towel-lined tray to drain. Serve warm.