Hearty Pita Tacos
“You don’t need to skimp on flavour when trying to eat healthy. Our 9-year-old daughter enjoys helping us make these tasty tacos, and likes eating them even more.” —Jamie Valocchi, Mesa, Arizona
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1 pound lean ground beef 90% lean
- 1 small sweet red pepper chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained, 16 ounces
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 2/3 cup taco sauce
- 1 can Sliced ripe olives drained, 2-1/4 ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 6 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Optional: Sliced avocado and additional taco sauce
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, red pepper and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, corn, taco sauce, olives and seasonings; heat through.
- Spoon 3/4 cup beef mixture into each pita half. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with avocado and additional taco sauce if desired.
1 each: 339 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 787mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fibre), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.