Ham and Leek Pie
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
2 lb (900g) potatoes
Salt and black pepper
1 lb (450g) leeks
5 tablespoons (70g) butter
1 lb (450g) lean ham steaks
3 oz (85g) mature Cheddar cheese
1⁄4 lb (110g) cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp plain ﬂour
1 tsp mixed dried herbs
11⁄4 cups milk, plus 1–2 tbsp
A few sprigs of parsley to garnish
- Put a kettle of water on to boil. Peel and dice the potatoes and put them into a saucepan. Add salt, cover with boiling water, and cook, covered, for 8–10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Slice, rinse, and drain the leeks. Melt 11⁄2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan over a moderate heat and fry for 6–8 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned. Preheat the grill to high.
- Derind and dice the ham. Melt 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter in a ﬂameproof casserole about 10 in. (25 cm) wide and 2 in. (5 cm) deep, or in a frying pan with a ﬂameproof handle. Fry the diced ham over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Grate the cheese, cut the cherry tomatoes in half, and set aside.
- Stir the ﬂour and herbs into the ham and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and stir until it comes to the boil. Add the cheese, stir until it melts, then add the leeks, season to taste, and reduce the heat to low.
- Drain and mash the potatoes with black pepper, the remaining butter, and 1–2 tablespoons of milk. Place large spoonfuls of mash in a circle around the top of the ham and leek mixture and lay the cherry tomatoes in the center.
- Grill the pie for 2–3 minutes or until the top of the mash is golden. Rinse and dry the parsley, snip it over the pie, and serve.
Serving suggestion: Serve with a green vegetable, such as Brussels sprouts.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:1781