Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
4 L (16 cups) water
375 ml (1½ cups) red wine vinegar
60 ml (4 tbsp) coarse (Kosher) salt
2 bay leaves
1.5 kg (3¼ lb) octopus, trimmed and rinsed
30 ml (2 tbsp) red wine vinegar
1 lemon, juiced
4 cloves garlic, minced
250 ml (1 cup) olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Leaf lettuce, as required
1 lemon, in wedges
- In a large stock pot, bring the water, vinegar, salt and bay leaves to a boil. Add the octopus, return to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Drain, cut the octopus in half lengthwise and place in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the ingredients for the marinade. Pour over the octopus and turn carefully to coat well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the barbecue.
- Place the octopus halves on the grill and cook over high heat to mark both sides and heat through.
- Cut the octopus into 2.5 cm (1 in) pieces.
- Place the octopus pieces on a serving platter, garnished with lettuce and lemon wedges.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2619