Number of servings : 6
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
450 g (1 lb) lean minced lamb
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup vegetable stock
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
1⁄4 cup chopped fresh mint
1⁄4 cup chopped fresh dill (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
10 ounces orzo pasta
1 1⁄4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 large egg
- Brown the lamb in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the onion is soft. Add the eggplant and stock and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until the eggplant is tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes and half of the herbs. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the lamb is tender.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, cook the orzo according to package directions, until al dente. Drain.
- Beat together the yogurt and egg in a small bowl.
- Stir the drained pasta into the lamb mixture and spoon into a large (7×11-inch) baking dish. Spread the yogurt mixture over the top and bake for about 20 minutes until piping hot. Sprinkle with the remaining mint and dill just before serving.