Number of servings : 2
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: Ready in under 30 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
A bunch of watercress
½ lb (230 g) pork fillet
1½ teaspoons minced ginger
½ lb (230 g) potatoes
Salt and black pepper
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 large egg
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ teaspoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to a low setting. Trim, rinse, and drain the watercress and set aside.
- Trim any fat and tissue off the pork, then cut it into ½ in. (1 cm) slices and place in a bowl. Stir in the ginger and set aside.
- Scrub the potatoes, cut them into ½ in. (1 cm) thick slices and put them into a saucepan. Cover with cold water, add salt, and bring to the boil. Then cover and boil gently for 10-12 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, fry the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan, shaking them over a moderate heat until lightly toasted, then leave to cool.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg with salt and pepper, and stir in the sesame seeds. Heat the sesame oil and 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in the frying pan. Add the egg and swirl it over the base to make a thin omelette. Turn it out onto a plate, roll it up, and slice it thinly.
- In a small jug or bowl, blend the cornstarch with 2½ tablespoons of cold water, then stir in the sherry and soy sauce.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over a high heat and fry the pork slices for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown, then transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the pan and stir over a moderate heat until it boils and thickens. Return the pork to the pan with any juices and heat through.
- Drain the potatoes and arrange on two plates. Place the watercress and pork on top and pour the sauce over; garnish with omelette ribbons.