Number of servings : 4
Prep time: Preparation Time: 30 min. Marinating Time: 20 min.
Cooking time: Cooking Time: 10 min.
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
¼ cup light soy sauce (50 mL)
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar (25 mL)
1 tbsp white sugar (15 mL)
2 tsp sesame oil (10 mL)
4 tsp corn starch (20 mL)
8 oz well trimmed beef steak (250 g) (sirloin tip or top sirloin)
1 cup whole grain brown rice (250 mL)
5- 6 baby bok choy (about 375 g)
1 tbsp vegetable oil (15 mL)
¼ cup julienned gingerroot (50 mL)
3 large cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp hot red pepper flakes (optional) (1 mL)
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 medium onions, sliced
2 (227 g) pkg pre-sliced fresh
white or crimini Mushrooms
½ cup chicken broth or water (125 mL)
½ cup frozen corn niblets (optional) (125 mL)
½ cup blanched, halved, unsalted peanuts (125 mL)
½ cup chopped cilantro leaves (125 mL)
- In a small measuring cup mix soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch until smooth. Pour half into a medium bowl for marinade and reserve the other half until later.
- Slice the beef across the grain into very thin narrow slices; stir beef into marinade mixture and marinate at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook rice according to package directions.
- Separate stalks of bok choy and remove leaves set both aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet or wok heat 2 tsp (10 mL) oil until hot over medium- high heat; add ginger, garlic and pepper flakes and stir-fry 30 seconds or until fragrant but not browned.
- Remove beef from marinade with slotted spoon: add to hot skillet and stir-fry 2-3 minutes or until browned. Transfer all to a bowl.
- Add remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) oil to the skillet. Add bok choy stalks, carrots, onions and mushrooms; stir-fry 3-5 minutes; add broth and corn; cover and steam 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in bok choy leaves and push vegetables to the side of skillet; pour reserved starch mixture and left over marinade into middle of skillet; bring to boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.
- Return the meat mixture with any accumulated juices and peanuts; toss just until hot.
- Serve over hot rice and garnish with cilantro or green onions.
Makes 4 main course servings
Tip: Partially freeze meat to enable cutting it very thin.
• Substitute chicken for beef if desired.
• Substitute broccoli for bok choy.
• Substitute small shiitake caps for half of the sliced mushrooms.
• Substitute raw cashews for peanuts.
For more delicious recipe ideas visit Mushrooms Canada at www.mushrooms.ca.