Number of servings : 2
Prep time: 10
Cooking time: Ready in under 30 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
1-1/2 tbsp low-calorie mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
Salt, to taste
1 small cucumber, cut into 10 slices
2 cherry tomatoes
1 baby carrot, cut into thin matchstick pieces
1 1-inch piece of string cheese
2 slices of gherkin or small pickle
2 slices of olive
Egg Salad Creature Garnish
Hair: Grated or string cheese, grated carrots, sprouts or curly lettuce
Eyes: Olives, cucumber, pickle slices or raisins
Nose: Slice of gherkin, pickle, pieces of carrot
Mouth: Wedge of cherry tomato, carrot or celery stick or piece of cheese
Ears: Cherry tomato or sliced cucumber
Whiskers or antennae: Carrot or celery sticks or sweet pepper strips
1. Peel and finely chop all 4 hard-cooked eggs and place in a large mixing bowl.
2. Combine eggs with mayonnaise or salad dressing, mustard, and salt to taste; stir gently together until combined.
3. Using a large serving spoon mound the egg salad in two round scoops on individual plates.
4. Using slices, pieces or wedges of vegetables, cheese, olives, pickles, etc., make features or body parts, create silly creatures or faces.
5. To make the creature and face in the photo, use cucumber slices for ears or body scales; a wedge of cherry tomato for the mouth; pieces of carrot for whiskers or a tail; a piece of string cheese for a tuft of hair; raisins and sliced gherkins or olives for eyes; and a cherry tomato or small piece of cucumber for the nose.
6. Serve with crackers.
Fun tip: Lay out the garnishes and let the kids get creative by making their own variations on the faces and body parts of the little creatures. You can even mix it up by laying out your children’s favourite veggies – the recipe has no limits.