Easy Mushroom Ravioli With Four Cheese Sauce
A quick filling that bursts with flavour is enclosed in prepared won ton skins instead off pasta making this a lighter version of ravioli. For further convenience make and freeze them ahead of time and purchase a prepared sauce.
Number of servings :
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
3 tbsp butter (45 mL)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 lb fresh Mushrooms, finely chopped (500 g)
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp lite soya or tamari sauce (25 mL)
¼ tsp ground black pepper (1 mL)
½ tsp dried thyme (2 mL)
1 pkg. (400g/13.5) won ton wrappers
1½ tbsp Each butter and flour (22 mL)
1-3/4 cups 2% milk (425 mL)
1 cup shredded Italian 4 cheese blend (250 mL)
¼ tsp Each salt and pepper (1 mL)
¼ tsp nutmeg (optional) (1 mL)
Garnishes: diced red pepper, chopped chives or sliced green onion tops or minced parsley (optional).
- In large skillet melt butter over medium heat; sauté onion for 1-2 minutes just to soften
- Add mushrooms sauté 4-5 minutes or until liquid is released
- Reduce heat to low and add garlic, soya sauce, pepper and thyme.
- Continue to cook, stirring often until a thick paste is formed, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
- To assemble ravioli work in batches, place a few won ton skins on work surface (keeping other ones covered so as not to dry out);
place a heaping tablespoon of filling in centre of each.
- Brush water around the outside edges of each wrapper; top with a second wrapper. Press out air and edges to seal. Place on a damp towel-lined baking sheet and cover with damp towel while making remaining ravioli. Refrigerate or freeze as directed below until cooking time.
- In medium saucepan melt butter; stir in flour and cook stirring constantly 1-2 minutes or until bubbling.
- Whisk in milk and bring to boil, whisking constantly until thickened; lower heat and stir in cheese, cook for 3-5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Keep warm on low heat until ready to serve or reheat in microwave on Medium power.
- In large wide saucepan or deep skillet of gently boiling water cook a few ravioli in batches (in single layers), about 4 minutes or until tender but firm. (Do not let water boil vigorously once ravioli have been added.)
- Remove with slotted spoon to shallow baking pans, in single layers; add about 1/2 inch cooking water to keep warm, in oven while cooking remaining ravioli.
- Transfer with slotted spoon, draining off excess water to warm serving plates. Spoon sauce evenly over ravioli, garnish as desired.
Makes 4 servings
- Add 2-4 tbsp crumbled Gorgonzola cheese with other cheese to sauce.
- Substitute 300 mL pkg. four cheese pasta sauce for the homemade one above and add milk to desired consistency.
- Drizzle sauce with truffle oil or substitute ¼ cup (50 mL) sherry for ¼ cup (50 mL) milk in the sauce
Tip: To make ahead, freeze ravioli in single layers on parchment lined baking sheets. When frozen transfer to resealable freezer bag. Cook from frozen state increasing the time to 8-10 minutes or until tender.