Duck with Dried Tomatoes
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
1 duck, 2.3 kg (5 lb)
30 ml (2 tbsp) honey
60 ml (4 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
30 ml (2 tbsp) water
3 onions, thinly sliced
15 dried tomatoes packed in oil, cut in thin strips
30 ml (2 tbsp) oil from the dried tomatoes
- Remove all visible fat from the duck and prick the skin all over with the tip of a knife.
- Place a rack in a roasting pan containing boiling water and place the duck on the rack. Cover the whole pan tightly with aluminum foil and steam the duck for 1 hour on the stovetop.*
- Preheat oven to 200°C /400°F.
- In a small saucepan, heat the honey, half the vinegar and the water for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Place the duck on a rack in a roasting pan and brush with the honey-vinegar glaze.
- Finish in the oven for 30 minutes, brushing with the glaze every ten minutes, until the skin is a nice mahogany colour.
- In a skillet, wilt the onions with the dried tomato strips in the tomato oil, stirring frequently. Add the remaining vinegar and stir to combine.
- Cut the duck into 4 portions and serve with the caramelized onions.
*After steaming, the duck skin will still be white and soft. The roasting will turn it brown and crispy.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2598