Curly Noodle Chicken Soup
“I created this recipe for a dinner I hosted for a group of friends. The main course was Italian, and I needed a good soup, so I converted a favourite tortilla soup recipe by substituting pasta and adding different seasonings.” —Maxine Pierson, San Ramon, California
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 celery ribs sliced
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3 cans reduced-sodium chicken broth (14-1/2 oz. each), divided
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14-1/2 oz.), undrained
- 6 oz. uncooked tricolour spiral pasta
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, celery, carrots and garlic in butter and oil for 5 minutes. Stir in the basil, oregano and pepper until blended.
- Set aside 1 cup broth. Gradually add remaining broth to the pan. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes.
- Return to a boil; stir in the pasta. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-13 minutes or until pasta is almost tender. Combine flour and reserved broth until smooth. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
1 cup: 223 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fibre), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.