Number of servings :
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
450 g (1 lb) elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 scallions, coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups low-fat (1%) milk, warmed
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
2 tomatoes, cored and sliced
1 cup fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs
- In large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook macaroni until tender, following package directions. Drain well. Return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in large non-stick saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Add scallions and salt. Cook, stirring, occasionally, 3 minutes. Gradually stir in flour. Cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in 1 cup of the milk until well blended, with no lumps. Gradually stir in remaining milk. Bring to a boil. Lower heat. Simmer, stirring, until lightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in mustard. Stir in Cheddar, Monterey Jack and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (100°C). Lightly coat 33 x 22 x 5 cm (13 x 9 x 2 in.) baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Fold carrot and cheese sauce into macaroni. Scrape into prepared baking dish. Arrange tomatoes in single layer over top. Combine remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and crumbs in small bowl. Sprinkle over tomatoes.
- Bake until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Cost for each person: approximately $1.25
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:91