Cowboy Calico Beans
“This is a tradition at the table when my girlfriends and I go up north for a girls’ weekend. The husbands and kids are left at home, but the slow cooker comes with us!” —Julie Butsch, Hartland, Wisconsin
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 lb lean ground beef 90% lean
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 16 oz butter beans drained
- 16 oz kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz pork and beans
- 15-1/4 oz lima beans rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar and mustard; add to meat mixture. Stir in the beans. Cover and cook on low until heated through, 4-5 hours.
3/4 cup: 326 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 808mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 10g fibre), 22g protein.