Melt-in-Your-Mouth Meat Loaf
“When my husband and I were first married, he refused to eat meat loaf because he said it was bland and dry. Then I prepared this version, and it became his favourite meal.” —Suzanne Codner, Starbuck, Minnesota
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cut two 25x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble an X. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- Combine the first 6 ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into a round loaf; place in centre of strips in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until a thermometer reads at least 160°.
- In a small bowl, whisk ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Spoon over meat loaf. Cook until heated through, about 15 minutes longer. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter. Let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing.
1 piece: 346 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 800mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fibre), 28g protein.