Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
450 g (1 pound) lean lamb steak, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
450 g (1 pound), thickly sliced
4 large stalks celery, thickly sliced
450 g (1 pound) leeks, thickly sliced
12 ounces strong dry (hard) cider
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
Salt and pepper
1 box (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
Sprigs of fresh rosemary, sage and thyme, tied together to make a Bouquet garni
For the topping
1 cup sifted self-rising white flour
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley and sage combined
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 to 2 teaspoons low-fat milk (optional)
- In large flameproof casserole, dry-fry lamb over medium-high heat until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add carrots, celery, and leeks. Cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cider, broth, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 400ºF. Prepare pastry topping: In medium bowl, stir together flour, parsley, sage, salt, and pepper. Stir in sour cream and mix until firm dough forms. If dough is too dry, add 1 or 2 teaspoons milk. Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into 16 triangles.
- Add peas and bouquet garni to casserole. Arrange triangles on top, covering surface.
- Bake until topping has risen and golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.