Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet : | Heart Health
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 kg tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
2/3 cup red wine or vegetable stock (reduced-salt if possible)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
or 1 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon sugar
pepper to taste
8–10 sprigs fresh basil, shredded, to garnish (optional)
5 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese or 5 heaping tablespoons Parmesan cheese shavings to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic, and cook gently, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened but not browned.
- Add the tomatoes, wine or stock and basil. Cook over medium heat for 20–30 minutes or until the sauce is thick.
- Purée the sauce in a blender or food processor until smooth, then pass it through a fine sieve if a particularly smooth result is required.
- Add the sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Stir in pepper to season and reheat the sauce.
- Use the sauce as required. Or, if desired, pour it over freshly cooked pasta, toss well and top with shredded basil and freshly grated or shaved Parmesan cheese.