Number of servings : 4 to 6
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 4 to 5 hours
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
2 large sweet onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1⁄4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 lbs boneless pork shoulder blade (butt), trimmed and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
2 tbsp vegetable oil (approx.)
1 tbsp butter
1 can (19 oz/540 mL) tomatoes, with juice
1 sweet potato, chopped
1 Granny Smith or other tart apple, chopped
3 tbsp dried currants
1⁄2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1⁄4 tsp ground cumin
1 bay leaf
11⁄2 cups plain yogurt
1⁄2 cup chopped green onions
1. Layer onions and garlic in slow cooker stoneware.
2. In a heavy plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. In batches, add pork to bag and toss to coat with flour mixture. Discard excess flour mixture.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat half the oil and the butter over medium-high heat. Cook pork in batches, adding oil as needed, for about 4 minutes or until browned all over. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to stoneware.
4. Stir in tomatoes with juice, sweet potato, apple, currants, pumpkin pie spice, cumin and bay leaf.
5. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours, until pork is tender. Discard bay leaf.
6. In a bowl, combine yogurt and green onions. Ladle stew into individual serving bowls and top each with a dollop of yogurt mixture.