Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1⁄2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup and 1 tbsp apple cider
1 yam or sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3-mm (1⁄8-in.)-thick slices
500 g (1 lb) lean ham steak
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into 12 wedges
1 tbsp cornstarch
1⁄2 cup diagonally sliced green parts of scallions
- Stir together the mustard, ginger, cloves and one cup of the cider in a large skillet. Bring to a simmer and add the yam. Cover tightly and simmer until partially tender, 15 minutes.
- Add the ham steak and cover with the yam slices. Arrange the apple wedges on top. Cover and simmer until the apple and yam are tender and the ham is heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the cornstarch and the remaining tablespoon of cider in a small bowl until well blended.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the ham, yam and apple to a platter. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Stir a little of the hot pan juices into the cornstarch mixture until smooth. Add to the skillet and cook, stirring, over medium heat until slightly thickened, about a minute.
- Divide the ham, yam and apples among four plates. Spoon the skillet sauce on top and garnish with the scallions.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2285